Detroit Guardianship Lawyers

The goal of an effective and well-considered estate plan is to avoid disputes and probate court intervention, but sometimes the decision to plan comes too late. What if something unfortunate happens and you or your loved one doesn't have a power of attorney or health care power of attorney? At Prince Law Firm in Detroit, our lawyers realize that guardianships and conservatorships, while protecting a person by providing supervision, will limit that person's freedom.

Michigan Conservatorship Attorneys

Our attorneys take their responsibility very seriously and are committed to providing the high-quality counsel and service your family deserves. If a member of your family may now or in the future require help with management of finances or daily affairs, and you would like to discuss the situation with one of our lawyers, contact our Bloomfield Hills office and make arrangements for a consultation at Prince Law Firm.

Since loss of function is often progressive, many families make arrangements while an elderly member is still able to help in making the decision regarding appointment of a guardian or conservator. If you have a progressive condition, such as Alzheimer's or dementia, now is the time to designate your chosen representatives. We understand the laws around Michigan guardianships and conservatorships, and can guide you through the process efficiently.

What Is Guardianship?

A legal guardian is responsible for making decisions regarding an incapacitated person's personal affairs and living situation. Many people just need a little help with personal care − perhaps someone to organize their medical care or see that their living conditions are reasonable. Other people need more constant and direct supervision, in which case a guardian is responsible for arranging for and overseeing care in a nursing home, an assisted living facility, or a home setting.

Do I Need To Establish A Conservatorship?

If a person has been determined to be mentally incapacitated and has assets that will be wasted, the court will appoint a conservator to manage his or her assets. In some cases the conservator may also serve as a guardian. In either case the probate court conducts an annual review of the management.

Often a family member will approach us, asking us to help establish that person as a guardian and conservator for a parent or other family member. In other cases, a member of our firm might serve as conservator. These are sensitive issues and our attorneys and staff do all we can to help families find the best solutions possible for their situations. Contact us online, or by phone at 248-419-1968, to learn more during a consultation.