What types of estate administrations are there in Michigan?

| Feb 26, 2016 | Estate Administration & Probate |

Individuals in Michigan will need an estate administration when they pass on. People leave behind in this estate their assets, debts and desires. In many cases, people have an estate plan that helps those left behind understand how the assets should be distributed. In many cases, it will be up to the remaining family to move through the legal process of distributing these assets and finalizing the estate. This can be a difficult process for individuals if they do not understand the legal technicalities that are at play in the probate process.

In Michigan, there are two types of estate administration that can be used to settle a person’s estate. First, there is summary administration. Summary administration is for those estates that are smaller — when the assets are under $22,000. Through the summary administration process, the probate process can be expedited. In these cases, the estate can be settled without the formal appointment of a personal representative.

In addition to summary administration, there is also formal administration in Michigan. Formal administration is for those estates with assets that exceed $22,000. There are two types of formal administration. The first type is supervised administration. With supervised administration, the probate court must approve and review all the actions of the personal representative of the estate.

The second type of formal administration is unsupervised administration. In an unsupervised administration case, the probate court is only involved in the case during the beginning and end of the process. This is true unless the personal representative or another interested party request that the court be involved in a decision along the way.

It is important for Michigan residents to understand how these types of probate administration will affect the estate administration process. For specific legal advice about a particular situation, individuals should speak with an attorney.